Just stand up! Headline Animator

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Obstacles are gifts to help us grow - if we look at them that way

"With everything that has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift. Everything is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing. You get to choose." 
- Wayne Dyer

I needed to be reminded of this today.  I had a pretty good day overall but a few times my mind regressed to some unpleasant thoughts about past events.  Some of my skeletons were trying to get out of the closet.  They will do that from time to time but they're never successful.  It has become my practice that when those thoughts come into my head, I just acknowledge and accept them, put them away and focus on being grateful that I learned the lesson.  

It wasn't always that way.  There was a time when I felt guilt or regret.  But once something is done, it's done. You can't undo anything that's been done or said.  It's a part of history now.  So leave it there.  If you don't, you will end up in a rut and not fulfilling your purpose.  And I do believe that we are all here for a purpose. 

So if an unpleasant thought floats into your head, own it, accept it without judgment, and file it away.  Maybe these are the little reminders we need from time to time to humble us and make us realize that we are human.  

No comments: