Just stand up! Headline Animator

Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." ~ Dr. Seuss ~

Six months after my first daughter was born in 1977, my mother moved to Florida (from Massachusetts).  I was devastated because we were very close. It was quite an adjustment for me and I was depressed for a while. After several years, she was able to start making an annual trip up to Massachusetts to see me. I really looked forward to those visits but they were spoiled because a few days before she would be heading back to Florida, I would start to get emotional about her leaving. Instead of staying in the moment and being happy for every minute I was with her, I would get weepy and lost out on enjoying those last days with her.  I did this for many years.

Then one year I decided that I needed to stop doing this. I was losing precious time with her because I wasn't staying in the moment.  I decided not to think about her leaving until THE DAY that she was leaving. And then, instead of crying because I knew I was going to miss her, I hugged her and was happy for having had that time with her. 


I am really glad that I came to this realization because she passed away a few years later and I was grateful that I learned to stay in the moment and really be with her.  We might miss people, things, or events when they are over but instead of crying, it is better to be happy and grateful for those moments and hope for more!  

No comments: