Just stand up! Headline Animator

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Power of Now

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
~ Buddha ~


I think I came across this quote today because I needed it. Some days I am pretty good about staying in the moment.  Other days, like today, it was a struggle. This quote is what Eckhart Tolle is all about - staying in the moment - the Power of Now.  If you haven't read that book, I highly recommend it.  (Actually I'm a bigger fan of "Practicing the Power of Now.)  I have read and reread this book and it is going to be a lifetime goal to live it.

I think I am making progress though.  I realized that I was struggling a lot today because I was resisting the thing(s) that were stressing me out.  According to Tolle, acceptance is a big part of living a life free of stress.  I wasn't totally able to "accept" the things that were stressing me out, but the mere fact that I was able to reach this understanding was helpful.

Now acceptance to me does not mean that it's okay or that you are happy about it.  Acceptance is the acknowledgment that it is - without judgment.  I try to live a "judgment free" life but it is really hard to do. 

The first two points in the Buddha's quote are a waste of time.  All we ever have is "now" so we might as well make the most of it. 

No comments: