Just stand up! Headline Animator

Sunday, March 27, 2011

"No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn." - Hal Borland


I love this quote and agree with him.  But there are times when it feels like winter will never end.  When we are going through a period of time where nothing is going right, I think about what the winter season is really about.  During winter, we need to slow down, practice patience.  As we know, many animals hibernate during this time.  There have been times in my life where I wish I could have gone into hibernation.  At one point, I wished I had enough money to quit my job, go to the other side of the world and sit on the top of a mountain alone.  I did not want to take care of anyone.  I did not want to do laundry, food shopping and all the other things I was responsible for.  I just wanted to sit on the top of the mountain by myself.  I did not want to talk to anyone.  I just wanted to sit in silence.  Have you ever felt like this?

I wonder if all of us go through times like this.  The good news is that Hal is right.  After winter comes the spring, no matter how long the winter lasts.  And I think that sometimes we can help spring along.  I’ve talked about perspective in a previous post and I really believe that sometimes we make our winters longer than they need to be.  If we stay focused on all the bad in our lives, it is going to bring us down and keep us down.  But there are always good things going on in our lives and it is better to focus on them.  Wayne Dyer says that when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. 

So how are you going to proceed with your day?  I hope you make it as good as it can possibly be.

4 comments:

michelle francoeur said...

Oh yes indeed. I have spend a long long winter now......18 months ......maybe a bit more......I go out only when absolutely necessary work, or food shopping and I drag that one out.......and then I read read read and Im comfortable with that. Thats a lot of silence. Im not one to EVER turn on a radio, not sure I have one, or the tv, disconnected all that DVR stuff too. Its just me and silence. i like it. But I agree that we can drag this out toooo long and miss out, life won't come here, I have to go to it. Maybe just once in a little bit, a week, how about once in a month? I have recently decided to try. Just try, take a stab at it, dosen't have to be perfect right? I love the writings here. They are prolific and point on. I truly miss them like my morning coffee if I dont have them. Thank you. For your work/writings/thoughts and real sharing.

Karyn said...

Your feedback is always so profound Michelle. And you reinforce for me that we all go through similar experiences. I like to think that we can use all of our experiences to help others through theirs. One of my winters lasted 5 years! But in hindsight, I didn't help myself by the way I was thinking. And Wayne Dyer is right on. If you really change how you look at things, they really do change.

I hope spring is right around the corner for you. When you get a chance, search YouTube for a song called "Stronger than before" by Janny Grein. I think you'll like it. Love and hugs to you! :-)

Michelle Francoeur said...

Yes indeed, what a gorgeous song! I will post that! Karyn I was able before to "invite" friends to your blog and I cannot see now where I was doing that from? Can you help me with that? Thank you! <3 Love and Light

Anonymous said...

Karyn, Amen. I have those times when I can't get out of my own way - those times when I just don't want to be around anyone! Just went through it recently for a few days. But, during those times, I do a lot of self-reflection. And of course, it's easier to find all of my worst qualities. But, then it forces me to dig a little deeper and recall my strengths and positives, and I remember that those are the things I have to offer, and can build upon them. Sometimes I feel like "this is all I have." And it's negative. Then I remember that if "this is all I have," then I'd better do the best I can with it! Then the motivation comes back again! Thanks for reminding me it's ok to want to be alone and free of responsibility once in a while!