Just stand up! Headline Animator

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Proof of Nobility



Happiness for a reason is just another form of misery because the reason can be taken away from us at any time.

~ Deepak Chopra ~ 


How many times have you said "I'll be happy when . . ."? And how long did it take you to figure out that happiness isn't caused by external circumstances or things?  It took me a while to figure that out and I am still working on it.  Let's face it - it is easy to be happy when you have everything you need or want.  But when you don't, it is really challenging to be happy.  


My brother Larry taught me that happiness is not dependent on exterior circumstances.  He was younger than me and a crew chief in the Blue Angels, the Navy's Flight Demonstration Squadron, in 1989 when he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.  He was 26 and was given one year to live.  He had been healthy his entire life so we were quite stunned as you can imagine. Fortunately the experimental treatment he received killed the tumor and we got 14 more years with him before he passed in 2002.


The treatment had taken quite a toll on him and he ended up being paralyzed on his left side for most of his life.  He was not able to work and spent his days playing video games (thank God for joysticks), watching TV and visiting the sick along with his wife.  He lived quite a distance from me so we talked on the phone a lot.  One day, Larry told me that he didn't have much of a life but the life he had was good.  I was blown away by that! Here was a young man who had lost his military career and his mobility telling me that his life was good.  I am sure that at some point he must have been depressed but he was able to work through it and come to the point of acceptance.  If he had chosen to live out his life curled up in a ball of depression, no one would have blamed him.  But he chose to make the most out of his situation. 


The Dalai Lama said, "We don't need more money, we don't need greater success or fame, we don't need the perfect body or even the perfect mate. Right now, at this very moment, we have a mind, which is all the basic equipment we need to achieve complete happiness." Larry figured this out.


And according to 'Abdu'l-Baha', "Anybody can be happy in the state of comfort, ease, health, success, pleasure and joy; but if one will be happy and contented in the time of trouble, hardship and prevailing disease, it is the proof of nobility. Thanks be to God that that dear servant of God is extremely patient under the disastrous circumstances, and in the place of complaining gives thanks." 


I am grateful for Larry and the lessons he taught me.  He still inspires me.  Who inspires you? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing......thanks for touching on just what i needed to hear <3......thank you. For your writing.

Karyn said...

Thank you Anonymous. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed this. It is a topic very dear and close to my heart.