Just stand up! Headline Animator

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Do you feel like you're being pruned?


God does not offer us a way out of the testings of life. He offers 
us a way through, and that makes all the difference.
~ W.T. Purkizer ~

This is such an awesome quote and so true.  There is just no way of getting through this life without getting tests. Some tests are more manageable, some almost unbearable. It's those really tough tests that teach us the most and even if you believe this, it is still really difficult to accept.

A few quotes come to mind on this topic that I would like to share.

O Son of Man! My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy. (The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah, #51 from the Arabic)

Tests can feel like fire and vengeance. We can question God. Why is this happening? Did I do something wrong? Am I being punished? I believe that God loves us more than we love ourselves and that everything that happens in our lives is for the best. 

Tests are benefits from God, for which we should thank Him. Grief and sorrow do not come to us by chance, they are sent to us by the Divine Mercy for our own perfecting. While a man is happy he may forget his God; but when grief comes and sorrows overwhelm him, then will he remember his Father who is in Heaven, and who is able to deliver him from his humiliations. Men who suffer not, attain no perfection. The plant most pruned by the gardeners is that one which, when the summer comes, will have the most beautiful blossoms and the most abundant fruit. The labourer cuts up the earth with his plough, and from that earth comes the rich and plentiful harvest. The more a man is chastened, the greater is the harvest of spiritual virtues shown forth by him. A soldier is no good General until he has been in the front of the fiercest battle and has received the deepest wounds. ('Abdu'l-Baha' - Paris Talks)

Men who suffer not, attain no perfection.  I love the analogy of pruning. As someone who has been "pruned a lot", I can tell you that it is painful. You might feel like you've been pruned to the "roots" and that nothing will grow. But believe me - you will grow.  You will be stronger. I didn't believe it could be possible, but it is.

If you are going through a difficult time right now, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Trust that God knows what He's doing and like the quote says, He'll offer a way through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, so true, very inspirational. I feel like things are getting better so why is it im still kinda feeling angry from time to time?

Karyn said...

I am happy to hear that you feel that things are getting better for you. But it is perfectly normal to feel angry once in a while. I think it's all part of a process. You might take two steps forward and one step back. What is important is to acknowledge your feelings and move through them, past them. And hopefully each time you will continue to feel better and better.

I went through a really difficult period of time and it took me years to get to a point that I felt pretty good. I had my ups and downs too but I didn't stay down as long. What has helped me is to practice not judging things as good/bad, fair/unfair. When I removed a lot of those labels, things began to get better. I am not completely judgment-free but I continue to work at it.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to email me at karyn.estrella@gmail.com if you'd like to talk more. I am happy to help if I can. You are not alone!