Just stand up! Headline Animator

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Keep an eye out for those open doors


"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."  
- Helen Keller


This quote from Helen Keller really resonated with me. The closed door could be so many things: the loss of a loved one, divorce, loss of a job, etc.  It can paralyzed us.  I think this is normal but it is very important to know when it's time to let go of that door.  

If you think about it, life is a constant series of doors closing and others opening up. We need to learn that once a door closes, it's not the end of the world even if it feels that way.  Remember how you felt when your first love broke up with you? Were you devastated?  Crushed?  I know I was.  It's a pretty gut-wrenching experience.  But, lo and behold, life did go on.  And you know what?  It got better.  Were there other loves lost?  Absolutely.  But each one hurt a little less each time.

When a door closes, maybe we should accept that it's closed, be grateful for the experience, let it go and start looking for that open door.  And we should look for it with confidence that it will be there for us.  Because it will.  

2 comments:

michelle francoeur said...

Yes I am looking for that open door with an open heart, i have closed a door and I cant say that it dosent hurt or pass through my mind but i know its not healthy I am challenged now to move out of my comfort zone and find the open door unjaded.......this .....is the breathe of life. Really perfect Karen and I love love the door you posted for this piece......so beautiful like a new open door should be. <3

Karyn said...

You will find that door Michelle. It is waiting for you. And you're right about being unjaded. That is so important. When I saw that picture of the door, I knew it was the one I needed to post. It is such a hopeful image. And we always need to have hope.