Just stand up! Headline Animator

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it." - Eckhart Tolle


It has taken me a lifetime to understand this concept. Eckhart Tolle is absolutely correct.  It is so easy to allow our thoughts to go to a negative place when we're unhappy.   But we really do control our thoughts and we choose how we react to everything that happens to us in our life.  

That said, I don't think it's healthy to deny our feelings either.  If there is a situation that is causing stress and unhappiness, I think it's important to recognize it, acknowledge it.  During those times, I think it's best not to push yourself.  It's also good to take a lot of baths. There is something healing and soothing about taking a nice, hot bath. It is also important to make sure you are breathing properly.  A therapist once told me to pay attention to my breathing when I'm stressed.  It was always shallow.  She advised me to take 10 really deep breaths when I am stressed to make sure I was getting enough oxygen to my brain.  She said that when we are under stress, we don't realize it but we begin to take shallow breaths.  And the lack of oxygen to our brains makes us feel more stressed.

Try it sometime.  Baths and breathing when you're stressed.  If you try this, I hope you'll let me know how if it helped.  

No comments: