Just stand up! Headline Animator

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Man plans - God laughs!

Even when you think you have your life all mapped out, things happen that shape your destiny in ways you might never have imagined. [Deepak Chopra]

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a school teacher. Then life happened and I ended working in various offices gaining administrative experience. In my mid-30's, I decided to pursue my goal to teach and entered college for the first time. I knew it would take me 10 years to get my degree (going part-time) but I didn't care. Then, about half way through my studies, I accepted a position to run a non-profit trade association as executive director. And my life has never been the same since. I ended up loving this position and decided to change my major to English Literature and Critical Writing. My advisor said this was a better degree for business.  I ultimately got my degree and am still working for the association thirteen years later. 

When you make your life plans, I think it's important to be flexible. You never know what opportunities will arise that will require a shift in direction. My degree has served me well. It is funny how things worked out. I went to school to become a teacher but ended up an executive director. You just never know!

No comments: