Just stand up! Headline Animator

Monday, August 1, 2011

Knowing when to adjust

“When you can’t change the direction of the wind – adjust your sails.”
~ H. Jackson Brown ~

My brother Larry was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 26 (in 1989).  My baby brother Danny was diagnosed with AIDS when he was 26 (in 1993). Larry was given one year to live but lived for 13 years.  Danny lived for 2 years after he was diagnosed.

Did they have to adjust their sails?  Yes they did!!  What amazes me the most of my two younger brothers is that they came to a point of acceptance soon after their diagnosis.  Did they have to go through depression to get there?  I am sure they did.  But they didn't dwell on the past or their illness.  They continued to live their lives in spite of it - inspiring everyone who crossed their path.  

My brothers have been my greatest example of what to do when you can't change the direction of the wind.  Whatever challenges you are going through right now, don't let it leave you sitting idly in the water.  Chart a new course, adjust those sails and head for your new horizon.

2 comments:

Phil Echols said...

This was exactly what I needed to hear this morning. It's sounds like they were great men. Everyday I hear stories of resilience and just makes me work even harder. Thank you for sharing.

Karyn said...

Thanks Phil! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed this. They were great men and since they were my younger brothers, they impressed me that much more. I am the eldest and I know they learned a few things from me. But I learned so much more from them and am so grateful. Have a great day!! And keep up the great work you are doing. Your blog is awesome and I read it every day!