Just stand up! Headline Animator

Monday, May 2, 2011

Being strong and courageous

"Any time your mind or anyone tells you "What if you fail?" Answer back, "What if I succeed?" If it says, "What if you breakdown?" Respond, "What if I breakthrough?" Let no one talk you out of your dreams and aspiration. Be strong and be courageous."  
[From Positive Digest]  

When I was in my mid-30's, I wasn't happy in my job and decided to pursue my dream of becoming an elementary school teacher. I had no college credits and after consulting with the head of the education department, I knew that it would take me 10 years to get my bachelor's degree if I went to college part time. I made the decision to do it anyway.  

One of my acquaintances was surprised that I was going to do this.  He said, "How long is this going to take you?  10 years?" He didn't say anything else but I knew what he was getting at.  I responded, "The way I look at it is that I am 35 years old right now. In 10 years, I can be 45 years old with a degree or without it."  

Well, I have that degree (and graduated magna cum laude) and it took me 10 years. Was it difficult? You bet it was. There were many times I wanted to quit. But I am really happy I didn't.  

I ended up not going into teaching because an amazing job came my way that I love even more. But who knows  - I may teach in the future. And if I make that decision, I'll have the education and the degree to do it.

So don't let anyone try to discourage you from your dreams, no matter how long it may take. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post Karyn! Those ten years are going to pass anyway - well done for doing something amazing with them!

Karyn said...

Thanks Susan! I appreciate it!