Just stand up! Headline Animator

Friday, May 6, 2011

Embracing the present

"Nothing ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being present now, and if the past can't prevent you from being present now, what power does it have?"
[Eckhart Tolle] 

Why is it that we give the past so much importance? But we do it all the time, don't we? Have you ever heard someone say, "well, it's always been that way and it's not going to change", or something to that effect. Or the person who says, "I'm like this because such and such happened to me in my childhood." It is so easy to become a victim to our past. But we don't have to be. At any point, we can detach ourselves from our past and embrace the present. We can create the life that we want - a life that has no connection or attachment to the past.

It has taken me years to understand this. Mind you, I'm not perfect. But I have learned to push those negative voices out of my head. Those voices that say, "remember this" or "remember that". I am learning to let go of any negative experience I've had that has held me down or held be back. It's an on-going process but very worthwhile.


2 comments:

Phil said...

Great quotes and great post!

Karyn said...

Thanks Phil! I appreciate your feedback!