Just stand up! Headline Animator

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Love being you!

“Why compare yourself with others? 
No one in the entire world can do a better job of being you than you.” 
~ Unknown ~


You are unique!  Don't change!  You have all the characteristics that you need in this life and to get through your life.

I was in a course a few years ago and the professor was talking about "negative" traits.  My comment to her was that I think we have to be careful about labeling behavior as "good" or "bad".  For example, stubbornness. At first blush, this might be considered a negative trait.  My younger brother was very stubborn and let me tell you - he could be such a pain when he was a kid!  But, when he was 26 years old, he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and given one year to live.  He lived 13 years.  And I think part of the reason that he lived so long was because he was stubborn!  He beat all the odds.  When a doctor told him that after an operation he would never walk again, he walked!  He was so determined.  So, in this case, I think he was endowed with "stubbornness" because he was going to need it later in life.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that children should be allowed to be belligerent and left unchecked. Not at all.  Children need constant love and guidance.  But if your child has a trait that you're not thrilled with, try to get them to channel that trait in a positive way. They may need it one day.

No comments: